Tuesday, March 07, 2006

"Dealing With Darwin"

Ah, a good week since I've made time to post. It's not that I don't have a lot to say -- I DO! Life has just been insanely busy. At the end of the day, it's all about priorities.. and on a high note, I put 20 hours of coding time into Ping over the weekend. Alpha version should be done in just a few more weeks.

Today, Geoffrey Moore (he has a great blog!) came to talk to us at work. He's the author of the quite popular book Crossing the Chasm (which I highly recommend if you haven't read it), and also a bunch of other, newer books that deal quite a bit with "innovation".

Normally, I cringe when I hear people talk about innovation. It's usually used as a meaningless catchall buzzword that sounds nice. But Geoffrey knows his shit, and still has quite a bit of new, original thought on the subject.

I definitely recommend checking out the "Ideas In Action" section of his Dealing With Darwin book's web site.

And then... next time someone tells you how "innovative" something is... you can ask them, "How is it innovative? What type of innovation is it, exactly?" (At which point, there's a 99% chance they'll respond, "uhh.. it just is.." - you don't wanna be that guy, do you? That guy who uses "innovative" as a sexier word for "cool"?)

No comments: