Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Headed Towards Burnout

For about a week I've been working 12-14 hour days, eating poorly, not going to the gym or practicing yoga, and with the exception of jetting down to LA for a hectic weekend of sister wedding activities, certainly not doing anything social.

My DVR is filled up with TV shows I don't have time to watch, and the pile of half-read books on my desk is slowly growing to human height level. I've got 500 megabytes of wedding photos sitting on my cell phone waiting to be uploaded, and starred Gmail messages numbering in the double-digits from friends and family awaiting replies (not to mention over 350 blog posts I've yet to read and several thousand work emails to browse).

I guess I'm experiencing what Paul Graham calls Good Procrastination.

(As a sidenote, I printed out and read through about half of Graham's essays on my flight back to Seattle, and I must say I'm thoroughly impressed.)

I can feel the burnout coming on, and I'm not really sure why I'm doing it to myself. There is a big milestone coming up at work, but I think beyond that I've just felt a need lately to get back in touch with my inner computer nerd. Perhaps this is a precursor to more significant things to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bunrout, eh? I'll race ya!