Monday, October 02, 2006

On Fasting...

One of the most intriguing things I've come across in my diverse work environment is the practice of fasting. Sometimes, I'll stop by someone's office and ask him or her if they want to grab some lunch, and they'll be like, "i can't eat today", or "sorry, it's Monday".

At first this perplexed me, but by now I've just gotten used to it. It turns out that a lot of people fast for a lot of reasons. We don't see it in our everday lives here very often, but it goes on.. and it's quite interesting.

Today is Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year for Jews. I decided to fast - for a few reasons - but partly because it's been a long time since I've experienced 25 hours without food or water, and it was something I wanted to experience again.

Anyhow, while I don't quite feel like digging into all of the places my mind has taken me throughout my fast right here on my blog, I do suggest you try fasting too. It's quite interesting and important to experience what it feels like to be hungry, and it brings a clarity of mind that I don't remember being able to regularly achieve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Adam, I am Muslim and I am fasting everyday from sunrise to sunset.It is not just food and water, it is also helps you purifying your Sins. RAMADAN KAREEM