Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Quick updates...

In the event that you were wondering about the moblog pictures of me in a tux, they're from another good friend's wedding in LA over the weekend. Look at my geeky dad and my sister's boyfriend taking pictures with their cell phones!

Unbelievable. A few years ago, my mother wouldn't touch the computer. Now she's asking me how to send photos to her friends and change the background on her phone to a picture of her puppy.

On the flight down to LA, I finally had the chance to finish Malcolm Gladwell's latest book, Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. I like Gladwell quite a bit, and Blink was an incredibly quick and engaging read. I'll spare you the review, since there are undoubtedly thousands already online, but in short, it was a little less thought provoking and original than The Tipping Point, but still quite interesting (maybe even more interesting) and I'd highly recommend checking it out.

Anyhow, Blink was the only book I brought down to LA for the weekend. Finishing it on the flight down left me bookless, so I borrowed and started reading my dad's copy of Good to Great, which I'm quite pleased with so far. I've been getting so many great book recommendations lately.. I've got 9 waiting on my nightstand here at home (so please don't send me any books!), and 21 more on my Amazon.com wish list. What are you reading?

I found another podcast that I like - diggnation. It's by Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht, who basically follow the biggest stories from digg.com. I've found that listening to podcasts really does make the morning commute out to Redmond bearable.

Finally, I recently saw Broken Wings and Born Into Brothels. The first is an incredibly moving Israeli family drama that won quite a few international film awards. The latter, which I just watched tonight, won the 2005 Academy Award for best documentary (among other awards). Born Into Brothels was incredibly depressing, and serves as yet another affirmation of the feeling I get sometimes that many of us live in a bubble, detached from reality of what's going on elsewhere in the world.

With that, I bid you goodnight.

No comments: