Wednesday, January 05, 2005

In California...

First off, I apologize to my many faithful readers for a recent lack of updates. I just returned from a very fun vacation in Los Angeles, with a couple of spectacular days in Vegas. Didn't make much time to write, plus, my family's satellite Internet connection leaves something to be desired.

Though I grew up in LA, I've spent the last several years learning/researching/working at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. I'm lucky enough to have a great group of friends out here, who have continually put up with my efforts to convince them that their beautiful state leaves something to be desired... (and I'm not just talking about the weather.. though it is 25 degrees and blizzarding as I write)

I'm not quite sure why it takes so long for great ideas from Fastpay parking to drive-thru Starbucks to make their way out to Michigan.. But in the spirit of sharing, I've brought back with me from the West Coast a few pictures of the latest and greatest to hit the streets:



Glow-in-the-Dark Mini Golf! (Because blacklight bowling just wasn't enough.)




Palm Tree? Or cell phone tower in disguise?




THE $10 STORE. Because 99 cents doesn't pay the rent.




What's valet parking without an oxygen bar for while you wait, right?




And what's a fancy restaurant like Chilis without valet parking?




Christmas. Beverly Hills style.




Wouldn't your restaurant be cleaner if you had to post your grade in the window? (ok, this one's certainly not new.. but deserves mention nonetheless!)




Err, how'd that make it in?! Ah well, smog sure makes for colorful sunsets.

And I'll leave you with that for now. Stay tuned.. a special issue of Best of Sky Mall is on the way!

1 comment:

Jay Anderson said...

There's a glow in the dark mini golf place in Novi (by the Emagine Theater). It's very fun, and a little trippy.

I absolutely think that health departments should have letter grades posted to show their scores. It serves two very useful purposes. One, then you can avoid places that let rats play in the soup. Two, then local Fox News stations can't do their BIG BAD EXPOSE ON THE NASTY FOOD YOU EAT reports that I can't stand.